We are at the forefront of efforts to crack down on metal theft and are working hard to tackle the problem.
- We raise awareness in the community about the crime through public events, the distribution of letters and leaflets and through the local media.
- We work with the police and take part in their crime prevention activity such as raids on scrapyards.
- We support calls for tighter legislation covering the scrap metal trade.
- We share best practice with other industries such as telecoms and transport who also suffer from metal theft.
What you can do
- If you see any suspicious vehicles, persons or activity around electricity substations, overhead power lines or electricity cables in your neighbourhood, please contact the police immediately.
- You can also call us directly on Northern Powergrid (Northeast) 0800 668877 or Northern Powergrid (Yorkshire) 0800 375675 and we will come to the site and ensure the area is made safe as soon as possible.
- It is very important that you do not touch any exposed cables, enter open substations or attempt to move dangling cables as they may still be live and, therefore, extremely dangerous.
- It is important that you ensure children, pets and livestock are kept away from any damaged or exposed electrical equipment
We are also in partnership with Crimestoppers so that you can report any suspicions you may have anonymously.
To contact Crimestoppers to report any suspicions anonymously that you may have regarding metal theft, call 0800 555 111. You may possibly secure a reward of up to £1,000 for information leading to a conviction.
We also distribute a metal theft flyer to homes and businesses affected by incidents of theft in order to encourage vigilance. The flyer is available for display and can be downloaded by clicking on the following link: Metal theft flyer
You can also follow the link below to join our online community and submit an idea you think may help us to combat metal theft or to participate in a discussion about the issue that is a threat to us all.
The website address is: www.northernpowergrid.com/community