Northern Powergrid’s Policy and Markets Director, Patrick Erwin, has been named as part of a team of climate leaders appointed to lead the work of the new Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission, ahead of its official launch on 17 March.
The appointees, who come from a wide range of organisations from across the region, are united in their ambition and commitment to tackling the climate crisis.
The names of the Chair, three Vice-Chairs, a Director and 25 Commissioners, released by the Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission, demonstrate a wealth of experience in climate leadership from a variety of sectors.
Liz Barber, CEO of Yorkshire Water, has been appointed as Chair of the Commission – in recognition of her significant experience in environmental leadership. She said: “I'm thrilled to be taking on this role and it is great to be able to play a part in bringing the region together to tackle the climate crisis in a just and fair way.
“The formation of the Commission is timely as the UK is about to host the international climate conference COP26 and this will be an excellent platform to demonstrate what Yorkshire is already doing and to formulate plans to take that further.”
Three out of four Vice-Chairs have been appointed, to help provide political leadership across Yorkshire and Humber:
- South Yorkshire – Dan Jarvis MP for Barnsley Central and Mayor of the Sheffield City Region
- West Yorkshire – Councillor Jack Hemingway, Deputy Leader of Wakefield Council
- North Yorkshire – Councillor Richard Cooper, Leader of Harrogate Borough Council
A fourth Vice-Chair to represent the Humber is still to be appointed.
Professor Andy Gouldson from the University of Leeds, who is Chair of Leeds Climate Commission, has been appointed as Director of the new Commission. He will oversee its work and manage the Secretariat, which is also based at the University of Leeds.
Professor Gouldson said: “It is really exciting to see this new regional Commission coming together. There is such a rich knowledge of climate action amongst our team, and I can’t wait to see the benefits it will bring for the people of Yorkshire and the Humber.”
Commenting on his appointment as a Commissioner, Patrick Erwin, Northern Powergrid’s Policy and Markets Director, said: “Decarbonising our economy and responding to the climate emergency requires significant action. The new Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission is an exciting opportunity for local leaders to promote climate resilience and collaborate to support the transition to net zero.
“As the company responsible for the electricity network that powers Yorkshire and the Humber, Northern Powergrid has an enormous role to play in supporting the transition to a clean energy system, maintaining a climate resilient network and enabling the growth in low carbon technology like electric cars and heat pumps. I look forward to working with my fellow Commissioners to drive forward the region’s plans to tackle the climate crisis and achieve net zero.”
Commissioners will make up the main body of the Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission. They will make key decisions for the Commission, steer its work, and help to link its activities to networks and organisations within their areas of expertise.
The 25 Commissioners are:
- Alexis Percival, Environmental and Sustainability Manager, Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Beckie Hart, Director for Yorkshire and Humber, Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
- Bill Adams, Regional Secretary for Yorkshire and the Humber, Trades Union Congress (TUC)
- Chris Brown, Senior Director Sustainable Supply Chains, ASDA
- Emma Bridge, Chief Executive, Community Energy England
- Emma Richards, Project Leader, The Carbon Literacy Project
- Gordon Rogers, former Head of Sustainability at Yorkshire Water
- Dr Jatinder Singh Mehmi, Sikh Alliance Yorkshire (sharing Commissioner role with Amandeep Kaur Maan)
- Amandeep Kaur Maan, Eco-Sikh (sharing Commissioner role with Jatinder Singh Mehmi)
- Martyn Broadest, Executive Director, Connect Housing Association
- Melanie Taylor, Head of Stakeholder Relations, Northern Gas Networks
- Mike Maudsley, UK Generation Portfolio Executive Director, Drax
- Nigel Foster, Director, Fore Consulting
- Oliver Harmar, Area Director for Yorkshire, Environment Agency
- Patrick Erwin, Director, Northern Powergrid
- Dr Peter O'Brien, Executive Director, Yorkshire Universities
- Philip Holdgate, Head of Production Sustainability, ITV Studios
- Rachael Bice, Chief Executive, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
- Rob Cawkwell, Managing Director, Sewell Construction
- Sarah Clark, Operations Manager, Aura Innovation Centre, University of Hull
- Sarah Pemberton, Assistant Director in the North, National Trust
- Simon Bowens, Regional Campaign Organiser for Yorkshire and the North East, Friends of the Earth
- Simon Pringle, Director, Project Rome
- Dr Siobhan Laird, Director, South Yorkshire Climate Alliance
- Stuart Strathdee, chemistry teacher, Greenhead College